Preventing Future Mass Shootings

Katie Howell, Staff writer

The United States has has more recorded mass shootings than any other country in history. More than 10,000 people have been killed in mass shootings. There have been almost more than 1,000 known public mass shootings. The places change and the numbers change, but the weapon of choice stays the same.

Principal Lori Emmington of Vista del Lago offered her insight on how society can prevent future mass shootings, even outside of the school campus. “As a school, what we can do is to try to provide a really safe environment and be aware if students have possible social or mental health issues that need attention,” said Emmington.

Proponents for gun law reform and opponents who believe in the strictest interpretation of the Second Amendment say guns are the problem, and others say it is the person who owns the gun. Preventing the shooter from ever owning a gun in the first place would be the best way to prevent these from ever happening again, but as Emmington said, “I don’t know if we could prevent something like this, we just have to be ready for it.. “All we can do as a school is know what to do if something like this does ever happen.”

“Since we opened, we’ve believed that taking care of students’ mental well-being and safety and security — in terms of how they feel when they are on campus has been a priority,” said assistant principal, Kim Moore. “We have the advisory system in place so students can feel more connected to an adult on campus, so they always have more of a support system.”

Things have definitely changed at Vista, so faculty and staff are more prepared, including giving lectures in class to keep students informed on what to do when something like this does happen. Emmington and Moore have come across some creative solutions for the problem.

“When I started teaching her I never thought I would have to think about putting things like this in place, ” said Emmington. Since there have been so many shootings  in the last few years, schools must be on top of their game and know the latest safety procedures and things they need to do to keep their students safe.

“It was never a conversation when we were in high school, but it is our new reality, so both students, parents, staff, we all have a responsibility of having these difficult conversations and do what we can to help and support each other through this, “ said Moore.