How to Find Your New Best Friend

A kitten plays with a toy during an adoption day at PetSmart
Abby Shupe

Around 87 million homes in the US have a pet. While 85% of these animals are bought from a breeder, only 78% are adopted from shelters. This leaves 6.5 million animals entering shelters every year, and approximately 920,000 of these animals get euthanized in these shelters.

As of 2011, animal shelters have been less overwhelmed because of the increase in adoptions. However, these animals still need your help. With the demand for certain breeds and the rise of backyard breeders and puppy mills, there is no better time to go to your local shelter and adopt a new best friend.

Plenty of places around Folsom have animals ready for their forever home, like the PetSmart on East Bidwell. This PetSmart partners with Animal Outreach to ensure all their cats get loving homes. “If people don’t adopt the rescues they will just start piling up,” said Animal Outreach Vice President, Gary Saperstein. Adoption “is a much better way to go, and there is no difference between the animals you get,” said Saperstein.

Another place near Folsom that has plenty of cats for adoption is Fat Kitty City, an animal sanctuary that is dedicated to ending the suffering of needy animals. They have a variety of breeds and ages lined up for adoption.

Many Vista del Lago students have rescued their pets previously, including freshman Kate Perry and her brother Drew Perry. Kate talks about how she and her brother both adopted animals from PetSmart at a young age. “Adopting is just so much better because you’re not paying for a dog to be conceived.” Perry also talks about her brother’s tortoise, Stan, which they adopted in 2015. Stan is a Russian tortoise who will be 11 in May.

Animals can be a huge responsibility, and many animals in shelters are there because they were too much for their owners. So when you do adopt, you should always consider your personal life and ensure you can give the animal the best care possible.

Even if your home isn’t welcoming any new pets anytime soon, there are still many ways you can help these shelters. Both PetSmart and Fat Kitty City are always in need of new volunteers and accept donations.

Vista del Lago senior Abby Shupe volunteers weekly at PetSmart through Animal Outreach. “I really like connecting with the families and making sure the cats go to a good home,” Shupe said. “Foster parents are really needed…If you want to volunteer with Animal Outreach, they are incredibly kind and welcoming.” Potential volunteers can contact Animal Outreach through their website by contacting their volunteer coordinator.

View Comments (1)