Varsity Tennis Prepares for Playoffs

Subedei+Enkhtuvshin+plays+for+VIstas+varsity+tennis+team%2C+headed+to+section+championships.+

Nick Corr

Subedei Enkhtuvshin plays for VIsta’s varsity tennis team, headed to section championships.

Nick Corr, Writer

After going 7-0 in the league, the men’s varsity tennis team made it to playoffs and plan on bringing the title of section champions for the third year in a row.

“There’s only one team that can beat us, and that’s ourselves,” said varsity tennis coach Marc Erwin. “No team in our division scares me. We stormed through our league undefeated, but the only thing that keeps me up at night is that we didn’t get enough competition to prepare us for what’s coming.”

Six players qualified for section championships on April 28 and April 29. Those players are Subedei Enkhtuvshin and Varunesh Senthilkumar in singles and the doubles teams of Adam Abumughaiseeb/Michael Wilson and Felix Tong/Jason Zhang. According to Coach Marc, it is the most they’ve had in a single season.

“I couldn’t be more proud of those guys, especially seniors, Adam and Michael, who have gone through really tough times the past two years with our shortened seasons,” said Erwin. “It just shows how deep and strong our team is that we qualified everyone we entered. Suede is an absolute beast as a freshman, and Varunesh, Felix, and Jason have really improved in their sophomore year. We’re extremely lucky to have all these great players at Vista.”

The six players that qualified will be playing on May 16-17 at Johnson Ranch Racquet Club. If you want to know more about the players, you can go to MaxPreps.com or click the link here.