Deebo Samuel Trade Rumors

Photo graphic created by CHance Cochrane

Dominic Daysh, Writer

Deebo Samuel, the All-Pro wide receiver of the San Francisco 49ers, requested a trade from the 49ers on April 20, 2022. He said this was due to a number of reasons, including not wanting to play the “wide back” position anymore, wanting to play closer to his home state South Carolina, and wanting $25 million per year.

However, the NFL draft has finished which was the most likely time for a trade. It is still possible but not as likely. According to Ian Rapoport of NFL Network, the 49ers were offered the 10th pick in this year’s draft and a “draft pick swap” for Deebo, but they denied it.

When 49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan was asked if Deebo would be on the roster Sunday, May 1, “I can’t guarantee that anybody in the world will be alive Sunday,” said Kyle. For now it seems like Deebo will stay on the roster.

“Many of my friends think he will go to the Ravens, but personally I think the raiders,” said Vista del Lago freshman, Chris Martinez. Both of these teams are likely places due to both of them needing more receivers.

“I think he will be traded for two first round picks,” said Vista del Lago freshman Shane Hargraves. These picks would have to be for 2023 because it is now too late.

If Deebo gets the contract, he will get $25 million per year at least, not to mention a signing bonus. He would be paid more than the next two highest non-quarterback’s, Miami Dolphins wide receiver, Tyreek Hill and Las Vegas Raiders wide receiver Davante Adams. These are considered the two best wide receivers in the league, so if he were paid more than them it would be a large deal.

He had his best season yet during the 2021-2022 season, with 1,405 passing yards and 365 yards. The total number of touchdowns he had was 14. These helped him win first-team All Pro honors along with teammate, offensive tackle Trent Williams.