Vista’s American Cancer Society: Vista Students Aid and Support Cancer Patients

Helping to spread awareness, positively impact, and make contributional efforts regarding cancer
One of the newly established clubs at Vista; each color represents a different cancer type

Year after year, cancer, in its multiple forms, remains a constant threat to life. “…an estimated 1.9 million new cancer cases [have been] diagnosed” in the US as of 2022, according to the American Cancer Society organization’s website. Cancer continues to be a serious life threat and the need for aid is dire. As psychologists go on about searching for effective treatment methods, numerous organizations contribute their time and efforts, working to make a difference in the struggle against cancer. One such group of people exists here, at Vista: the American Cancer Society Club.

The newly formed American Cancer Society Club is a branch of the nonprofit organization. It was founded this year by freshman Hansika Kolli, who is also the club president. She founded the club because she “always [felt] the need to step up and try helping them [cancer patients] or impacting them in some way… Having a lot of family members who were negatively affected by cancer” contributed to her cause.

Through new opportunities, the members hope to “spread awareness about cancer and allow there to be more fundraising for cancer priorities [such as] cancer research [and] fundings [for people who] don’t have the money to pay for treatment,” said President Kolli. They strive to “directly and first-hand impact a lot of cancer patients [by] helping them with their needs.”

With activities such as fundraisers, cancer awareness presentations, guest speakers, and examinations of patient experiences, the club makes an effort to bring about change in this field.

The club’s goals this year are “to try to do two to three fundraisers—one per term at least.” They intend to “try learning how to gain the attraction for the club and start marketing properly,” as said by President Kolli. Having this knowledge can help them reach future fundraiser goals. They’ve already begun marketing their first fundraiser, which is going to be held on December 3 from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Promontory Park. A walkathon will take place to raise money for the American Cancer Society.

Adya Balakrishnan, a club member, said that cancer patients benefit from this club. “Donating to the American Cancer Society would in turn help…give more resources to these types of people.” It also contributes to spreading more awareness of this problem which would “cause more people to come together because it’s affecting so many people.” She decided to join this club to “support good friends and be a part to watch it grow” as it is “meant for really good things,” said Balakrishnan.

“Raising money in order to donate to the American Cancer Society further[‘s] [our] goals as a whole- as a national organization,” said Lindsay Humphreys, the club advisor. “Fundraising helps with the research and forward progress and eliminating or minimizing the impacts of cancer.”

Humphreys has been present at all meetings and has observed the club’s progress. “They seem very well organized and professional and definitely are trying to come up with ways to be effective,” she said. “Everybody has a job and a role and next steps [to complete],” working together as a group towards a common goal.

Club meetings are held in Humphreys’ classroom, H-202, usually one Thursday a month from 3:35-4:15 pm after school. Optional meetings are also held for additional planning and organizing of club events. Meeting dates and additional information can be found on the club’s website. Anyone interested can join the club any time of the year by contacting the president via Remind, as well as coming to future meetings.

Being a brand new club put into motion just this year, the club is at a fresh start with lots to get done. However, there is no doubt that they will achieve their goals and make a difference in the fight against cancer.