Vista’s New Robotics Team

Vista del Lago High School’s first robotics team, the TechTalons, is working to create a community where people who love STEM-related engineering can come together, build, and compete. Currently, they have five team members, but their goal is to get more students to join or support the engineers.

President of the TechTalons, Anishka Kallepalli, pitched and organized the idea of the robotics club.

They plan to compete through the organization “For Inspiration and Recognition of Science and Technology” (FIRST) in the 2024-2025 school year. As the first robotics team at Vista, they want to spread awareness and create more interest in STEM careers to the school. 

Typically, there are three sub-teams: software, hardware, and outreach. The software team is responsible for coding the robot, and the hardware team is responsible for building the robot, while the outreach team is responsible for gathering funding,

However, the outreach team is facing one of the biggest challenges: raising enough money for the club. Starting one requires significant financial support because it would be the first year this club is being implemented. One of the subteams, Outreach, is working hard to fulfill its goal. 

“We have to start from absolute scratch, which means we need to raise $3000 as the school cannot help us with funding since we’re an extracurricular activity,” said TechTalons Treasurer Caleb Zhang. 

Registration for the season begins in May. The team is currently looking for a club advisor, and once that is established, the TechTalons will have a room as well as meeting times. They plan to get applicants during Club Rush who have software and hardware experience so they can be more competitive. “But, if you have no experience and want to be part of outreach, or you even want to just learn about the club and not come to competitions, that’s fine too!” said Kallepalli. 

Not only are they thinking about where they could go with this club as high school students, but they are working towards a common goal of helping students explore careers. Charlotte Berry, the vice-president said, “We all want to be either some sort of engineer or STEM-related-job in the future and this club will be a great opportunity for us.” 

“Don’t be scared to join. Come out, help us support,” Kallepalli said. 

Instagram: @techtalons

GoFundMe: https://www.gofundme.com/f/techtalonsroboticsteam