Join the Fold: The Origami Club

Origami creations are works of art
Gunnar Blakely
Origami creations are works of art

Origami is an art form in which a piece of paper is folded into a special shape, such as a swan. It has been associated with good fortune and tranquility as well as linked to improving stress and hand-eye coordination, and now students have the opportunity to learn it at Vista. The Origami Club is new on campus, which, as its name suggests, teaches members how to create paper art.
The club’s president and co-founder, Jasleen Rana, described the club as “a place to relax and have fun and learn a new hobby.” At each meeting, the club officers present tutorials and demonstrations on how to create particular origami designs. Then members can follow along and learn to make their own.
“I started the club because I like origami and I like teaching people how to do it as well.” Yoder added, “I started it in Health class with Jasleen. She saw me making origami all the time and decided it would be cool if we could teach other people,” said club co-founder Jessica Yoder
Who should join the club? Just anyone who wants to join, or wants to learn origami, or even if they already know. It’s just open to anyone,” said Rana.
Whether someone is just looking for a way to de-stress after a semester of hard classes or wants to learn a fun way to spend their time, the origami club is a great place to start.