The Freshman Experience

Discovering their place at Vista
The Freshman Experience

Vista del Lago High School exceeds freshman expectations with intriguing courses and a friendly atmosphere. Just a few months into the school year, the catching school spirit has reached the newest members of its community.

“People are really nice, friendly, and everyone is inclusive,” said Eveleen Punia, a freshman new to Folsom.

Punia had been expecting “a stress-filled environment” and difficult homework assignments. She was pleasantly surprised with enjoyable and stress-free classes, especially Drawing and Painting 1.

“My classes are really fun and have a lot of activities, there isn’t a lot of stress for homework,” said Punia. “The teacher, Mr. C, is really fun and is a really good art teacher.”

Punia said that students are given ample time to complete their classwork, which is often “fun” and “engaging” assignments, giving students confidence in their studies.

Although Vista del Lago is known for its academic standards, its physical education program is still intensive.

“There is such a big variety of sports, and the activities are top-tier!” said Valeriya Fomicheva, a freshman enrolled in Fit 1. Fomicheva is a regular swimmer and track runner. These athletic activities appeal to even the most experienced athletes who have had their fair share of training and activities from their own sports experiences.

The considerate nature of the campus and staff have surprised students as well. The large fields and stadiums provide a visually and physically appealing environment for athletes like Fomicheva, while bibliophiles can enjoy a peaceful bit of reading time in the school library.

“I really like the library, it has lots of books, and the librarian is really nice!” said Mia Noh, a freshman with a love of books.

Noh, in contrast with the other students, has been living in the Folsom area for two years. Her experience with libraries in past schools has not been entirely pleasant, due to having a “scary” librarian at those schools. The welcoming atmosphere of Vista’s school library helped many students find interest in books again.

Vista freshmen are welcomed and well integrated in both academic and physical education, while the school also allows students to develop their creative side. The Vista Spirit is starting strong and has a positive momentum going forward. What a way to welcome new students!