“Beauty and the Beast” at the Harris Center

Ryan Hogan, Section Writer

Broadway’s reimagining of Beauty and the Beast, performed by the El Dorado Musical Theatre, arrived at the Harris Center in Folsom, Calif., on Oct. 27, 2017. 

“Beauty and the Beast” is a timeless classic where a young prince falls under a spell that turns him into a beast. The only way to reverse the spell is for the prince to learn to love and be loved. He locks himself in isolation with no hope for being cured, but a village girl named Belle is able to see the beast for who he truly is.

First written by French novelist Gabrielle-Suzanne Barbot de Villeneuve in 1740, the story was recreated twelve different times before Disney’s animated film in 1991, arguably the most popular version. Broadway’s original production lasted for over thirteen years, and was nominated for nine Tony Awards.

El Dorado Musical Theatre has performers who can range from ages six to twenty. This performance, which derives mainly from Broadway’s version, has two casts for different times, with one of the showings including a sign language interpretation.

Belle will be played by Nittany Biggs and Hannah Davis, the Beast by Zach Wilson, and Gaston by Stephen Knoble.

Musical numbers will be the same ones used in Disney’s animated film. El Dorado Musical Theatre’s main art director and choreographer, Debbie Wilson, worked on large-scale choreography in events like the Superbowl, the Olympics, and the World Cup.

With a production that came all the way from Broadway, it’s no surprise that people from different backgrounds are eager to see it. Jean-Claude Javaheri, a junior at Vista del Lago High School, can’t recall the last time he went to a play or musical, but the story of “Beauty and the Beast” can appeal to anyone with its strong messages about love. “Sure, I would like to see it,” said Javaheri.

The show’s run length is approximately two hours with a 20-minute intermission. Shows started on Oct. 27, 2017, and end on Nov. 5, 2017. The link provided below contains all event times and tickets on sale.

https://www.harriscenter.net/Online/default.asp?doWork::WScontent::loadArticle=Load&BOparam::WScontent::loadArticle::article_id=74D16D01-5CDF-4CA7-BF86-E95BC412CFAB