Why Vista Students March for Science

Hana Shaik, News Editor

On Saturday, April 14, 2018, marchers from around the globe took to the streets to participate in the second annual March for Science. In Sacramento, participants marched to the Capitol Building, and some of these participants were Vista del Lago’s sophomores Tamara Jaber, Bella Nguyen, and Amila Mesic, who all marched to support scientific evidence.

“I marched this year to defend science. [Recently]…I have noticed a great decline in using scientific evidence on a political basis. I think it is very important to base our decisions, especially those regarding abortion, vaccinations, and climate change, on factual reasoning…” said Nguyen.

“…I feel as though people are taking science less and less seriously, which is a huge problem for the future of our planet,” said Jaber.

The students did not just walk to defend science and its use in political decisions. They also marched to support greater diversity in STEM fields. “…The lack of diversity in the science industry needs to be addressed. Yes, we have come a long way since the past, but marginalized groups should be able to have a fair shot in STEM industries. We need representation in this industry. As biologist, neurologist, and assistant professor at UC Davis Dr. Rebecca Calisi Rodriguez said at the march, ‘to support science, we must support an environment that gives people from all backgrounds and walks of life a fair shot. So they can make these discoveries. In our schools, our universities, and beyond. Not only because it is right, but because it is necessary,’” said Nguyen.

According to the students, there were not very many teenagers at the march. “…I was surprised that so many people were happy to see me and the rest of my group there because we were one of the only groups made up of teens. I think next year we need to encourage more high schoolers to go there because we are the future not the older professors and other older marchers that were there,” said Mesic.

Speaking on the current administration’s policies and beliefs regarding climate change and science as a whole, Nguyen said, “The current administration says that marching is useless. I disagree. Even though it does not result in immediate action for our beliefs, it brings light to the current situation. It starts a conversation within the government and the people. These demonstrations show the administration that a lot of people are against what you are trying to enforce…”

“Marching is important, especially in this political climate because we have to continue to show skeptics that we care about the fate of the earth and that we will not sit quietly and watch as people reject scientific facts,” said Jaber.

“…The marches allow for people with the same beliefs to come together as a community. I was so happy to see people who had the same passion as me. Everyone was so kind. No one was rude to each other. We respected our peers. Marching acts as an outlet to voice our opinion,” said Nguyen.

Overall, it is encouraging to see Vista’s students expressing their beliefs in a positive way.