The Future in Entertainment

Dalyn Munoz, Copy Editor/Staff Writer

Imagine making 15 million dollars and having a following of over 54 million people, all while playing video games for a living. Sounds like a dream, right?

Pewdiepie began his internet  career in 2010 as a college student in Sweden. However, when school wasn’t panning out, he decided to drop out and focus on his YouTube channel. This risky decision would eventually pay off, and by 2012 Pewdiepie hit one million subscribers. This type of fame was unheard just a decade ago.

With a swipe of a finger anyone can search for whatever they want, talk to anyone near or far, shop, create and design anything desired. This generation revolves around the internet, from entertainment to work, and although it’s not very common, the internet can launch a person into stardom overnight.    

Vista del Lago junior Jacie Carmichael started  uploading videos to YouTube in 2015. What started out as  filming small home videos would become much more.

“My interest in film and photography was what inspired me to make videos. When I was little I was obsessed with making little videos and taking pictures of everything, so I figured YouTube would be a good way to share my interests with other people,” said Carmichael. On Carmichael’s channel, she shares unique and chic makeup looks with viewers who would like like to recreate the look for themselves.

“Honestly, practice is key to everything. I’ve been working on my makeup skills for I think 3 years now, and I’m only just starting to get to the point where I’m happy with my progress. Watching other people’s videos helps so much as well when it comes to techniques,” said Carmichael.

Vista junior Ethan Bridgestock started his internet career in 2015. At first  his content centered around video games, but he was later inspired to film comedic skits, challenges, and stories.

“I was inspired by Kody Co because he was just super funny and didn’t care what anyone thought of him or what he put out,” said Bridgestock.

While they post completely different content, both have become parts of some great and supporting communities within YouTube. Creators build a bond with their viewers. They grow together, laugh together  and can help do incredible things like support a cause. Bridgestock and other YouTubers in the area recently held a fan meetup to take pictures and just talk to the people that support them.

“I’ve made so many friends through my channel that I would have never met otherwise; everyone is so supportive and it’s a great way to get feedback from people with similar interests,” said Carmichael.

At first, some might believe posting on and maintaining a T account doesn’t seem too difficult, but in fact more goes in then just filming and uploading.

“Usually I’ll start by setting up all of my lighting and equipment,” said Carmichael. “Then I’ll film whatever make up look I’m doing that day, upload it to my laptop, edit the video, and film a voice recording explaining how I’m doing each step.  The hardest part is probably the voice recording, but after I’ll upload it all to YouTube, which takes about an hour while I make a thumbnail and fill out my description box.”  

Like many things in life, times can get difficult, and same comes with being a content creator. “There’s definitely been times where I’ve wanted to quit. However, the real reason I make videos is because I enjoy creating them, not because of the views or stats, so I continue with what I’m doing,” said Carmichael. Seeing the influence a person can have over the internet  and how they affect their viewers lives can make those doing Youtube very rewarding.

“There hasn’t been a time where I‘ve wanted to quit. I love making people happy and doing it and I always will,” said Bridgestock.  

WIth summer approaching quickly, both have plans to post a lot more content and have big plans that will be unveiled during summer. If interested in watching their video feel free to click the links below and show them some support.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xdBosWoMZ4 https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOBHzJYa82T_tYp5UCl4o2A