Adele at the 2017 Grammys Surprises Everyone

Khushi Salgia, Arts and Entertainment Writer

On Feb. 12, many people won awards at the 59th Grammys, but artists Adele and Beyoncé really stood out. Adele’s album “25” won Album of the Year, and her single “Hello” won Song of the Year as well as Best Pop Solo Performance. However, Adele did two shocking things: she cursed on live TV during a tribute to George Michael and broke her Album of the Year trophy, giving part of it to Beyoncé to share in her award.

Adele’s first performance of the night was a tribute to the late singer George Michael. While performing, her microphone went out which, coincidentally, also happened during the 2016 Grammys while performing “All I Ask”. When the malfunction happened, she cursed which the show censored for the viewers at home. “I know it’s live TV. I can’t do it again like last year,” Adele said. She then asked to restart and delivered “Fastlove” by George Michael.

Later, when Adele won the award for Album of the Year, she apologized during her speech for her earlier language and broke her trophy in half, dedicating the broken piece to Beyoncé. “I felt like it was her time to win. I felt like she was more than worthy,” said Adele. Beyoncé even teared up at Adele’s heartfelt speech.

Vista students believed it was “really cool,” “humble,” and they “respect Adele” now even more than they did before. Even though Adele and Beyoncé were in the spotlight for most of the night, students believe that “they are both really talented” and they deserved it even though other people aren’t getting as much recognition.