Vista’s Upcoming Production of “Seussical the Musical” is Something Everyone Can Look Forward To

Vistas Upcoming Production of Seussical the Musical is Something Everyone Can Look Forward To

Siena Hansen, Staff Writer

“A person’s a person no matter how small.” The theme of embracing who you are no matter your label or status is captured in Vista’s rendition of “Seussical the Musical”. The play is based on some of Dr. Seuss’s most beloved stories, including “Horton Hears a Who!” and “Miss Gertrude McFuzz.”  

“Seussical the Musical” combines all of our favorite Dr. Seuss characters on one stage. Horton the Elephant, the Cat in the Hat, lazy Mayzie, Jojo, Gertrude McFuzz, and many others come to life in this family-friendly musical. The lead actors include Ryan Parks-Cutigni as Horton the Elephant, Lance Padilla as the Cat in the Hat, Makenzie Jones as Jojo, Hayley Fitzpatrick as Gertrude McFuzz, and Bailey McAlister as Mayzie LaBird.

I’m definitely most excited to put this show up in front of an audience – it’s such a wonderful story with a beautiful and important message,” said Christina Rae, the director of Vista’s production of “Seussical”.

The cast and crew agree with Rae. “It’s a fun show filled with music and dancing,” said senior Ryan Parks-Cutigni, who plays Horton the Elephant. Parks-Cutigni is excited about the songs in “Seussical” and really connects with the songs he will be singing as Horton. He has been preparing for the show by reading the script, listening to the tracks and practicing in his bedroom at home. “I feel like anyone who has read Dr. Seuss should go see it,” said  Parks-Cutigni.

The cast and crew of “Seussical” have been working hard to get ready for the first showing on March 23. “We have been tirelessly rehearsing. Ms. Carlson has been running vocal rehearsals, I’ve been working on blocking and characterization with the cast, and senior Jayna Feldman has been an essential addition to our team as co-choreographer,” said Rae.

The tech crew for “Seussical the Musical” has also been busy. In addition to four-hour build days on Saturdays, they work after school every day till 4:30 at the art club. “I am looking forward to the audience’s reaction,” said sophomore David Duncan, who works on set design and lighting.

Rae has been involved in five productions of “Seussical”, each one with some differences. The most striking change in this performance is the character of Jojo who is now a teenage girl played by Makenzie Jones. “I really think audiences will connect with her,” said Rae.

“People should see Seussical because it’s fun! There are shows that are just ‘feel good’ types of musicals, and this is one of them,” said  Rae. The musical conveys deep and meaningful messages while maintaining the fantastical and creative feeling we know and love from all of Dr. Seuss’s work. “[This is] Dr. Seuss at his greatest,” said Rae.

Vista’s production of “Seussical the Musical” will be showing on March 23 through March 25 and March 30 through April 1. This inspiring musical won’t disappoint.