Vista’s Homecoming Game

Back to Article
Back to Article

Vista’s Homecoming Game

Sarah Valentine, Staff writer

On October 14, 2016, Vista del Lago High School had their Homecoming football game that was held at Folsom High School. It was a rainy cold night which brought up some challenges, but Vista faced off against the Mira Loma Marauders for their homecoming game. They won 47-0 and are still undefeated in league.

Before the game, the football team got together to watch game film of their opponent so they know how they play. It helps them know what plays and runs to do against them and how to shut them down so they don’t score. “We always do a lot as a team on Mondays. We watch film together after practice. Every lunch we go in and watch the game film. We put together different game plans for different teams and how we can attack them in different ways,” said varsity football player Adam King

With the rain in the first half, it made the game more challenging.

The most challenging part of the game for me was definitely throwing the ball in the rain because in the first quarter it was raining pretty hard, so it was kind of tough to throw the ball,” said Brent Schaffer, quarterback of the varsity team.

The way they handled this challenge was frequently exchanging the wet footballs for dry ones so it was a little easier to catch them. 

The other challenge was during the second half when they were up by so many points that they knew they were already going to win.

Second half we could’ve come out a little more fired up because we knew that we were up by so much already, and we didn’t have to really try that much, but we could’ve put it on them a little more,” said Schaffer

With no points scored on Vista’s defense so far, they try to just get as many points they can during the game. They also try to give everyone a chance to play when against an easy opponent.

“Our goal is that for every single game is to score enough points that every single player on our team can get time on the field, to give everyone a chance and to help everyone feel like their hard work has been paying off,” said King.

There were a few players that really stood out last Friday night. Brent Schaffer got a total of 225 passing yards. Among the many touchdowns by numerous players, Brenden Hall got a total of 83 yards with two touchdowns. Dominick Norris got Three touchdowns and carried the ball for a total of 116 yards. Adam King got one touchdown and caught six passes for a total of 95 yards. 

In the upcoming weeks, while we play the tougher teams like El Camino and Christian Brothers, Vista will have to work harder to get the win but they are ready to play.

“Definitely I think our challenging preseason has given us a chance to improve and come together so I think for our next three games we can expect to see wins,” said King.

Everyone who comes out to support the team, even on a rainy, cold day, helps pump up the team and bring good spirit into the environment.

“It always feels good. I love after the game — whether even if it’s rainy, late, or cold, or we’re up by 40 or down by 40–  we can come out and there will still be people in the student section waiting for us to come out from the 50 yard line and hold our helmets high and say thanks to them, because it feels good to know that they are still supporting us,” said King.