Ball is Life: The story of Janae Gonzalez

Back to Article
Back to Article

Janae and her brother, Cristian Gonzalez, with a collection of toys gathered last year.

Karson White, Voices of Vista Manager

Janae Gonzalez is arguably one of the highest caliber athletes to ever come through Vista del Lago High School. The 18 year-old soccer phenom has competed at the varsity level since her freshman year as well as for a variety of Sacramento area competitive teams.

Oh, and not to mention that she competed in the 2014 Junior World Cup in Jamaica. Gonzalez was a starting forward for the Mexican u17 female national team.

Her soccer skills certainly haven’t gone unnoticed as she is a frequently featured in newspapers, television and other media networks. She even has multiple Facebook accounts to keep up with her abundance of fans that follow her internationally, one translated in Spanish for all of the fans in Mexico.

Gonzalez’ hard work has also earned her a generous athletic scholarship to the University of Santa Clara where she will be attending the fall of 2015.

It is not Gonzalez’ soccer prowess that people find most impressive, however; Gonzalez is a soccer mentor and coach to kids in the community, a dedicated student, as well as a loving daughter and sister. Gonzalez and her family have even established their own charitable organization known as “Jerseys & Cleats for Kids”  (JC4K) which donates new and gently used soccer materials to impoverished kids in foreign countries.

Gonzalez intends on continuing to strive toward her soccer dreams, searching for new goals, breaking new records and crossing new horizons both on and off the field.