Filed under Archived stories

Then End of the Chapter

Back to Article
Back to Article

Then End of the Chapter

My Celebration after I scored my second goal. Apparently there is a FIFA rule that you can't celebrate with an outside object, a.ka. Chicharito

After an incredible beginning, things started to get rocky as we faced Nigeria. If the nerves didn’t hit my team when we saw how big the stadium was, it happened when we saw how big the Nigerian players were. We quickly went behind 2-0 and finished with a 3-0 loss. With this loss we finished 2nd in our group and were to face Japan, the favorite to win the tournament, in the Quarter Finals.

You can never blame outside conditions for a loss, but I have to say, I have never played in a game so windy. I would pass the ball and sometimes the wind would just blow it back to me. But the wind didn’t seem to affect the technical and speedy Japanese players. We ended with a loss of 2-0, the goals being an own goal and a rebound off of a PK.

After we lost the Quarter Finals, I was devastated. We all were. Our World Cup journey had quickly come to an end, and I couldn’t seem to grasp that fact.

However, I couldn’t be more proud of what my family accomplished. After being physically and emotionally drained, doubted and criticized, being away from home for six weeks and all the sacrifices that come with this experience, we placed sixth out of 209 countries entered in the World Cup. We still made history and we gave people hope.

Saying goodbye was very emotional. There is no promise that I will see any of my teammates again, especially those who live in Mexico. I am overly blessed to have lived such an experience, my dreams, with those I love. But this is just the end of one chapter and the beginning of something incredible.

1 Comment

One Response to “Then End of the Chapter”

1. Gayle Martin on April 2nd, 2014 12:47 pm

I think it is hard, when sports are so focused on THE WINNER, to see things objectively, but take it from someone on the outside: 6th out of 209 is incredible, if not to say unbelievable! Having to fight the weather AND giant Nigerians must have felt just a bit over the top. Thanks so much for taking us on this journey with you. I’m sure your next adventure will be something just as magical.

• Then End of the Chapter

Archived stories

Vista del Lago Introduces New Lacrosse Program

• Then End of the Chapter

Archived stories

How 13 Reasons Why Portrays Suicide

• Archived stories

Nutrition in Our Schools

• Then End of the Chapter

Archived stories

Vista Athletes That Move Beyond

• Archived stories

The Unspoken Gap

• Archived stories

Freshmen Reflection

• Then End of the Chapter

Archived stories

The Beginning of the End: Senior Survivor Week

• Archived stories

Class of 2017 Advisers

• Then End of the Chapter

Archived stories

Senior Ball Photo Showcase

• Then End of the Chapter

Archived stories

What’s Driving High School Seniors out of California?

Then End of the Chapter