Filed under Archived stories

Sadie’s Spirit Week Hits Vista

Kara+Fukui%2C+Sydney+Ciokewicz%2C+and+Sarah+Sobottka+pose+during+Planet+Neon+Day+
Kara Fukui, Sydney Ciokewicz, and Sarah Sobottka pose during Planet Neon Day

During the week of February 24 through the 28, Vista students participated in Sadie’s Spirit Week, the classic competition of boys versus girls.

Student Government produced five spirit days, each with their own specific theme: Monday – Planet Neon, Tuesday – Clone Day, Wednesday – Opposites Attract Day, Thursday – Men in Black Day and Friday – Boys vs. Girls. The week also featured lunch competitions, an advisory challenge, a rally and concluded with the Sadie’s Supernova dance on Saturday.

“We started working on Sadie’s even before Mista Vista,” said the activities director, Heidi Schultz. When asked how it feels to see the whole school united under something Student Government worked so hard on, Schultz answered with one word: “Proud.”

Lunch games kicked off the battle of the sexes as boys and girls from all grades competed in a hula hooping and an egg drop contest.

On Wednesday, Student Government administered an advisory challenge with boys and girls going head to head in a trivia game and card stacking competition.The boys were asked questions about combat boots and frappuccinos while girls were questioned on the song “Rap God” and the World Series champions. In response to her first Sadie’s advisory challenge, freshman Emma Drybread said, “It was fun that the boys had to try to answer the girly questions.”

On Friday, Vista students and staff attended the Sadies Supernova boys versus girls rally. Student Government filled the gym with neon lights, spotlights, chanting students and posters featuring “Who Runs the World? Girls!” and “Girls are Ugg-ly.”

The rally started off with a video starring Vista’s Public Relations Commissioners (PRCs), Rebecca Scott, Holly Isaacs, Christian Patterson and Austin Webb, kicking off the rivalry between boys and girls on “Planet Vista.” Five different contests known as the Galactic Games took place, each in their own category. Girls ousted the boys in the power, brains and spirit portions of the competition while the boys defeated the girls in the talent and endurance contests. Highlights of the games included a dance off and deciphering teachers’ and celebrities’ faces in the Galactic Face Warp competition.

The dance team and Powder Puff cheerleaders both performed their routines to cap off the rally. In the end, the girls took home the win with 18 points to the boys 8.

Freshman Hollee Durfee said her favorite part of the rally was “The noise, the screaming, the chanting, the music. Just the environment, how much energy was in that room.”

The week’s events concluded with the dance on Saturday. Students came to the “planet” dressed in neon or white to fit the Sadie’s Supernova theme. When students arrived, they crossed through a black hole entrance to the gym filled with strobe lights, black lights and lasers.

Sophomore Courtney Gallion said her favorite part of the night was, “Dancing. The music was really good this year.” She also said that she enjoyed the Sadie’s Supernova theme and, “I thought it was really cool how everything glowed with the black lights.”

“I would say my favorite part is the dance. It’s the culmination of all our hard work coming together,” said senior spirit representative Natalia Maverakis.

The week altogether was successful, featuring healthy competition and the uniting of a campus. PRC Christian Patterson, a senior, reflected on his Sadie’s experiences and offered some advice to his peers. “…Underclassmen, enjoy Sadie’s; you only have four of them.”