Tennis Team Season Recap

Sarah Valentine, Copy Editor

The Vista del Lago girls tennis team has finished a strong and successful season. With a strong turnout at tryouts, the coaches knew that they could make the best girls tennis team possible this year.

“First off, we have typically had 16-18 players come out for the team, this year we had 35 girls come out. This was a huge challenge in that since you get players who are top USTA players, or players that play all the time and then players that have never picked up a racquet,” said girl’s tennis coach, Wendy McCormick. “We were forced, simply by numbers, to make cuts to our roster for the first time ever.”

Throughout the season there have been a few stand-out players that helped the team get closer to the winning sections: Hannah Highsmith, Sofia Smith, and Marisa Minjarez.  

Hannah Highsmith was very successful in her last season. She won the Singles Section match in Roseville for her second time in a row.

“Individually, senior Hannah Highsmith defended her Division II singles section championship. Highsmith finished her high school career at Vista with a perfect 32-0 record in singles,” Coach Marc Erwin said.

Along with Highsmith, sophomore Marisa Minjarez has a good possibility of helping the tennis team continue their winning streak. Marisa also won the Singles Sections match for the first time.

“Minjarez lost two matches all season – one in a preseason tournament and one in the section final to Highsmith. She compiled a 16-2 record and was undefeated in CAL play,” said Erwin.“Freshman Sofia Smith also had an undefeated season in CAL play and compiled an 11-1 record overall. Her only loss was in the CAL singles tournament.”

Freshmen Sofia Smith has good potential in helping the tennis team throughout her high school years.

These are only some of the highlight players since there are many more that had a very successful season.

“Although I will be gone next year, I know Marissa will be able to take over my spot at number one, and Sofia Smith will have no problem making it to the team’s number two spot,” said Highsmith.

Mira Loma and Rio Americano are the toughest girls tennis teams in the district, and Vista’s tennis team was able to stay strong against those two schools. Their records against Mira Loma were in the two previous games was a 3-6 loss and an 8-1 win. Against Rio Americano they two 6-3 wins in both league matches.

“Next season I think the team will do awesome. This last season was a confidence booster for many of our younger teammates and the fact that or team was number one in league this year tells me that next season the team is going to do great,” said Highsmith.

With another successful season down, they are sure that they will have a good season next year.