Upcoming Movies to Look Forward To

Siena Hansen, Staff Writer

The beginning of 2017 has already brought some highly-anticipated movies ― “Moana”, “The Lego Batman Movie”, “Logan”, “Kong: Skull Island” and “The Beauty and the Beast”, to name a few. Several more will come out throughout the year, and while everyone has their personal preferences, every student at Vista has a movie to look forward to.

“I’m looking forward to ‘Star Wars Episode VIII’, ‘Spiderman Homecoming’, ‘Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2’ and ‘Cars 3’,” said Vista junior Sterling Hansen. “Star Wars Episode VIII”, which will be released on December 15, 2017, continues the story of Luke Skywalker, Leia Organa, and Rey. It is the tenth installment of the “Star Wars” franchise and continues the story from “Star Wars: The Force Awakens”, which came out in 2015.

Not much is known about “Star Wars Episode VIII”, as the story’s plotline remains largely hidden. Some of the main actors include Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher, Daisy Ridley, Adam Driver, Oscar Isaac and John Boyega.

Another action adventure film, “Wonder Woman”, is also getting some attention. “Wonder Woman” is the story of a princess, Diana of the Amazons, and her adventures as she discovers her powers and true destiny, while fighting alongside men in a war to end all wars. It is coming out on June 2, 2017.

“I am excited to see ‘Wonder Woman’ because it’s about a female superhero and it’s a refreshing break from male-centered superhero movies,” said Vista junior Maryam Farhangfar. As male centered roles such as “Batman” and “Superman” dominate the superhero world, “Wonder Woman” stands out as one of the few female superheroes. Because of her strong character “Wonder Woman” has been praised as a feminist icon and a symbol of female empowerment.

For those look forward to some childhood nostalgia, there are “Despicable Me 3”, “Cars 3”, “Paddington 2” and “Incredibles 2” being released in the near future.  

“I’m looking forward to ‘Incredibles 2’ because it would bring back a little bit of my childhood and I want to see how my perspective has changed,” said sophomore Laila Al-Juburi. Many Vista students grew up watching Pixar’s “The Incredibles” and are excited about its sequel, which they will release on June 15, 2018.

Very little is known about “Incredibles 2” which  Pixar Animation Studios produced, written and directed by Brad Bird. Only two cast members ― Holly Hunter as Helen Parr/Elastigirl and Samuel L. Jackson as Frozone ― are known, though a couple others are rumored. “I don’t like unwrapping presents before Christmas,” said Bird in an interview by Entertainment Weekly, on why there is so little known about “Incredibles 2”.

One movie that should appeal to a teenage audience is “Blade Runner 2049”. It is a follow up to the original movie, “Blade Runner”, which is based on of the 1974 science fiction novel of the same name. “Blade Runner 2049”, starring Ryan Gosling and Harrison Ford, is coming out on October 6, 2017. It is the story of a new blade runner who discovers a secret that could destroy society, and his journey to find an old blade runner who was in hiding for 30 years.

Another highly anticipated film, “Deadpool 2”, is coming out in 2018. Like many of the movies being released in the next few years, this one is a sequel. The original movie “Deadpool” came out quite recently in 2016 and was a big box office hit. “Deadpool 2” is the next installment in the franchise and is promised to have even more action than ever.

Everyone enjoys a good movie, and those coming out this year won’t disappoint.

Below are some upcoming movies and their release dates:

Movie                                                                   Release Date

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2                            May 5, 2017

Wonder Woman                                                     June 2, 2017

Cars 3                                                                        June 16, 2017

Despicable Me 3                                                     June 30, 2017

Spider-Man: Homecoming                                  July 7, 2017

Blade Runner 2049                                               October 6, 2017

Thor: Ragnarok                                                      November 3, 2017

Justice League                                                        November 17, 2017

Coco                                                                          November 22, 2017

Star Wars Episode VIII                                        December 15, 2017

Pitch Perfect 3                                                        December 22, 2017

The Incredibles 2                                                   June 15, 2018

Deadpool 2                                                              2018